Sunday 21 July 2013

Down Hill All The Way

There's nothing like feeling the pressure and today I definitely did.  When I signed up to the Mic Morris Memorial 10k as one of the extra 4 events for this year, I did it knowing that it would give me my best chance of setting a personal best time.  The course started in Blaenavon and finished in Pontypool so was essentially downhill all the way.  I'd already mentioned to a few people that I'd wanted to go sub 1 hour before hand and just before the race started the nerves started to get to me and also the pressure that I'd put on myself to deliver.  Thankfully I had not 1 but 2 running butties with me today to help drag me around, my Dad and also my friend Ben.

The run itself went quite well although I did find it quite difficult in parts and am really grateful to Dad and Ben for staying with me.  I know that if I had been on my own there would have been stages where I would have stopped.  In the end I managed to break my previous personal best of 1 hour and 1 minute by crossing the line in 56 minutes and 21 seconds, a time I was really pleased with and it was also a relief to achieve what I set out to do.

So that's another one ticked off the list and to be honest it's a bit scary how quickly these are being ticked off now.  It seemed like it took an age for me to get to the half way point but now I've reached it, the second half seems to be flying by.  Saying that mind, the next few events coming up are quite difficult ones so I might not feel the same in a couple of weeks time!

Anyway,  here is the photo of me, Dad and Ben after crossing the line and if you'd like to, the link to sponsor me is www.justgiving.com/huw2013

No comments:

Post a Comment